LOS ANGELES – Dwell on Design returned to the Los Angeles Convention Center May 29-31, 2015 for its 10th annual show. This innovative 3-day event welcomed attendees, including celebrities Tyra Banks and Ricki Lake, and participants from around the world for a celebration and exploration of modern design through on-stage content, inspiring exhibitions, Porsche ride and drives, home tours, and Dwell Design Week events. Dwell on Design offered continuous content from more than 250 leaders in design, 2,000 modern furnishings and products from 400 exhibitors, as well as continuing education opportunities across nearly every design discipline.
Attendance at Dwell on Design increased to a record 32,428 participants over the weekend, with the show growing to a record 326,000 square feet. Dwell on Design was the culmination of Dwell Design Week, which took place May 25-31and included a series of events and home tours around Los Angeles. Dwell on Design is expected to grow exponentially with its recent sale to Informa Exhibitions U.S., Construction and Real Estate, but will always have a home in Los Angeles, as proclaimed by Mayor Eric Garcetti. This agreement, announced during the opening day celebration, formalizes a 15-year commitment that aims to expand the international presence and influence of Dwell on Design, elevating the experiential offerings and status of this show for attendees, exhibitors, and sponsors on a global platform.
“It has long been the plan for Dwell on Design to include international arms of what is truly America’s largest design event,” said Dwell President and CEO Michela O’Connor Abrams. “Paramount to achieving that level of growth was finding the right partner. I am confident that we have done just that with Informa Exhibitions U.S., Construction and Real Estate, and that Rick McConnell and his team will make Dwell on Design the largest must-see design event worldwide.”
Dwell on Design 2015 Highlights Include:
- Keynote Speaker Marcel Wanders—Dutch Designer Marcel Wanders kicked off the 10thAnnual Dwell on Design on Friday, May 29th to a standing-room only audience providing an inspiring keynote about the importance of open-mindedness and the responsibility of bringing humanity into the design industry’s work with a goal to “create an environment of love” and inspire a life filled with passion.
- The Re-Imagination Pavilion—a newcomer to the show floor—was one of the featured exhibitions. With products from LG Studio, LG’s premium line of kitchen appliances, it included two kitchens designed by LG Studio Artistic Advisor Nate Berkus, a family kitchen and an entertainer kitchen. Nate Berkus, along with NKBA and ASID professionals, were also on-hand providing expert advice on designing a kitchen that directly reflected the individual consumer.
- DODLA 2015 onstage programming focused on four content tracks—Design for Humankind, Smart Home Technology, Resiliency and Energy 360. Some of the brightest, most forward-thinking minds in design joined Dwell to celebrate 10 years of raising the level of discourse, with topics that included “Healthy Architecture,” “The Future of Live-Work Spaces,” “Design Gives Back,” “Innovations in Prefab,” “The New Face of Affluence,” “AIA/LA Behind Great Restaurant Design,” “More Money, More Profits,” and “3-D Printing and Architecture.” Notable speakers and presentations included: Designer and LG Studio Artistic Advisor Nate Berkus, HGTV Star David Bromstad, Eames and Llisa Demetrios, Bezar Founder and CEO Bradford Shellhammer, the winner of HGTV’s Ellen’s Design Challenge Designer Katie Stout, Micky and Georgia Dolenz, Barbara Bestor, Alexander Gorlin, Devo front man Mark Mothersbaugh, Director and Co-Founder of LA-Más Elizabeth Timme, General Manager of Los Angeles Department of Transportation Seleta Reynolds, Americana Expert Charles Phoenix, Entrepreneur and Strategic Advisor behind such brands as Beats by Dre and JBL Susan Paley, Mia Lehrer, Helena Arahuete, David Hertz, Alvin Huang, and Musician Moby, who closed the show to a standing-room-only audience where he shared some of his favorite, unique, and iconic L.A. architecture finds.
- The 5th Annual Dwell on Design Awards were announced recognizing exhibitors for outstanding showing across eleven categories. Winners included: Beauformat (Kitchen); Cerno (Lighting); Franz Viegener (Bath); Galanter & Jones (Outdoor); Grandin Road (Modern Family); Greta de Parry (Furniture); IndoTeak Design (Sustainability); ShapeCrete (Design Material); Porsche (Best Booth); Fehlo (Best in Show); and newly added to the 10 regularly scheduled awards, a special Good Modernist Award was presented to Nina Smith of GoodWeave by Dwell President and CEO Michela O’Connor Abrams.
- Dwell Outdoor transformed more than 28,000 square feet—the largest Dwell Outdoor to date—into a botanical oasis. The exhibition featured the first-ever LĀLO Outdoor Cinema showcasing design-related short films, the Loll Beer Garden, thousands of plants and trees curated by FormLA, Shades of Green, and Mountain States Nursery, David Bromstad’s Glamping Tipis with furniture provided by GrandinRoad, and full-scale prefab structures including the Airbnb Home, Monogram Modern Home, and the Columbus College of Art & Design Airstream, among so much more.
- The Dwell Store pop-up was another must-see exhibit where attendees were able to experience and shop the best in modern design while enjoying complimentary cold brew samples from Bruer, view special vignettes from emerging designers AMDC, Object Society, and JOIN, and get a first-look at new paints from the Drikolor and Dwell Store paint collection.
- The American Society of Interior Designers (ASID) held their annual Chapter Leadership Conference in conjunction with Dwell on Design, welcoming thousands of designers, trade professionals, chapter leaders, and board members from around the country.
- The Dwell Home Tours had record attendance and provided visitors exclusive inside access to some of the most remarkable modern homes found throughout Los Angeles.
- Porsche joined Dwell for the first time as a premier partner and hosted the Porsche Ride and Drives, allowing attendees the opportunity to get behind the wheel of Porsche Cayenne S E-Hybrids and Diesel Models to experience the superior design and exhilarating performance firsthand.The partnership also included the Porsche Materials Design Pavilion and experiential lobby installation curated by Dwell Editor-in-Chief Amanda Dameron, which featured explorations of materials from leather to wood, carbon fiber and stainless steel.
- The show floor grew to 326,000 square feet this year and included three stages, crowd-pleasing exhibitions, and cash and carry opportunities. A few highlights included Lovesac—which featured a crowd-drawing Sactional dance choreographed by Dancing With The Starsalum Chelsie Hightower—the Airbnb Home, where everyone felt at home and waited on line to stamp personalized key chains, tour the home, or take a coffee or popsicle break, product and finish debuts from Stikwood and Dacor, 3D printed jewelry by architect and onstage presenter Jenny Wu, the Modern Family Pavilion, the YP.com Living Yellow “Cube” designed by Justina Blakeney, and much more.
Dwell programming continues this fall with the 2nd annual Dwell on Design New York, relocating from 82 Mercer in SoHo to Skylight Clarkson Sq October 2-4, 2015. More than 5,000 members of the design elite will gather for innovative installations and onstage discussions focusing on industry hot-button topics, including resiliency, the business of design, furniture and authentic design, and conservancy.
Returning exhibitors included: Astek Wall Coverings, Bend Goods, Big Ass Fans, Bugaboo, Cosentino, Dacor, Duravit, Capsule Wallets, Fleetwood Windows & Doors, Hansgrohe, Loll Designs, Lutron, Martone Cycling, Marvin Windows & Doors, Miele, NanaWall Systems, Panasonic, Stikwood, Sub-Zero and Wolf, Sunbrella, TOTO, Western Window Systems.
New exhibitors included: 4th Edition Design, AERATRON, Drikolor, Fireclay Tile, Hennepin Made, Jacuzzi, KitchenAid, Kodama Zomes, Modern House Numbers, Molly M Designs, Newd Elements, PowerCube, VintageView Wine Storage.
Premier Sponsors: Porsche and LG Studio
Official Host Sponsor: Airbnb
Sponsors: AGS Stainless, Astek, Austere, Bison Innovative Products, Clei, Cube Depot, Dacor, David Trubridge, Dunn Edwards, Flor, FormDecor, Hansgrohe, LĀLO, Lumos, Loll, J Geiger, MidCentury LA, Marvin Windows & Doors, Monogram, Raydoor, Resource Furniture, SoCalGas, TOTO, YP
Industry and Trade Partners: American Society of Interior Designers (ASID), American Institute of Architects (AIA), AIA Los Angeles, The American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA), The Association of Professional Landscape Designers (APLD), Association for Women in Architecture and Design (AWA+D), The Los Angeles Design Festival, The United States Green Building Council (USGBC), USGBC Los Angeles, The National Association of Home Builders (NAHB), The National Kitchen and Bath Association (NKBA), The Association of Women in Architecture + Design (AWA+D), The Sustainable Furnishings Council; Media Partners: Architizer, Archilovers, Design Milk, Architect’s Newspaper
About DWELL MEDIA, LLC: Dwell Media is a world-class design brand and publisher of Dwell Magazine, Dwell digital properties—including dwell.com and Dwell Store—as well as national events from modern home tours, to the Dwell on Design events in Los Angeles and New York City. Dwell has received countless industry awards and is widely regarded as a leader in modern design. It serves an affluent audience that is idea-driven, sensitive to social and physical surroundings, and always “At Home in the Modern World.” www.dwell.com.
Dwell and Dwell on Design are registered trademarks of Dwell Media LLC. Dwell Homes and Dwell Prefab are trademarks of Dwell Media, LLC
Source: Dwell Media, LLC