DETROIT — It’s the time of year when the automotive universe turns its attention to the heart of the industry, as all roads lead to Detroit in January. The North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) encourages its global journalist audience to begin preparations to attend Press Preview, Jan. 11-12, 2016, at the completely transformed Cobo Center. Widely considered one of the most important automotive events on the planet, NAIAS is consistently the strategic choice of global automakers to launch their new products and automotive technology, and the 2016 show is no exception.
“The industry is truly firing on all cylinders, and that will be reflected at this year’s show,” said Paul Sabatini, 2016 NAIAS Chairman. “Attendees to the 2016 NAIAS will see the most global reveals of any auto show in North America, and will experience them amidst automaker exhibits that are either completely new or significantly enhanced for the upcoming show.”
2016 NAIAS highlights include:
- A strategic industry platform with every key player – and thinker – in the global automotive arena gathering at Detroit’s Cobo Center.
- The Drive Home, a 2,400 mile cross-country journey that will feature three classic cars (1966 Ford Mustang, 1961 Chrysler 300G and a 1957 Chevrolet Nomad) departing from LeMay – America’s Car Museum on Dec. 27 and arriving in Detroit on Jan. 8 to a celebration to kick off the 2016 NAIAS. Automotive enthusiast rallies will be held along preplanned stops along the way.
- The Gallery on January 9, an ultra-luxury evening featuring over $7 million worth of exotic and ultra-luxury vehicles will be on display at the MGM Grand Detroit, with attendees enjoying dinner by world-renowned Chef Wolfgang Puck. Media will have special access to The Gallery, on Sunday, Jan. 10 from 9 – 11 a.m.
- 40+ worldwide and North American vehicle reveals during Press Preview.
- Industry Preview , a two-day meet-up and exhibition that brings together 35,000 automotive analysts, designers and engineers, representing over 2,000 companies from around the world. This unique networking and professional development opportunity brings together the key individuals responsible for the leading-edge products, technologies and services on display at NAIAS.
- Charity Preview, a historic night of giving. 2015 NAIAS hit the cumulative $100 million mark (funds raised for children’s charities since the annual black tie event was established in 1976 by the Detroit Auto Dealers Association). Every year the auto industry demonstrates its generosity by supporting the largest single-night fundraiser in the nation, now supported by Axalta Coating Systems as the Charity Preview Presenting Sponsor.
- Opening its doors to a hometown crowd beginning Jan. 16, the NAIAS expects to entertain and amaze approximately 800,000 guests from around the region.
Media representatives will find that NAIAS offers the amenities and support services attendees can expect from an international event. Heralded by last year’s press corps as “the best media center in the world,” the world-class Michelin Media Center returns to the Grand Riverview Ballroom for close proximity to press events. The 40,000-square-foot, high-tech, integrated facility will provide more than 1,000 working seats, a computer center, catered café, lounge, coat check and other amenities for the more than 5,100 credentialed media representatives from 60 different countries expected to attend.
New for 2016, NAIAS partnered with IBM, a global leader in innovation and technology, to create an industry-first Data Asset Management portal that will house content from OEM, supplier and sponsor partners. Credentialed media members will be able to access content ranging from press releases to graphics to video all in one portal, alleviating the need for journalists to have to find this content on these companies’ respective websites or attend every press conference. In addition to all the content in our portal, there will be a real-time social media and news aggregator, powered by Critical Mention. Users will be able to track global trends and create unique reports to assist in their reporting and monitoring.
Twitter, a global media powerhouse and official media partner for the 2016 NAIAS, will give attendees a real-time view of what people are saying about the event with “buzz board” screens throughout the show. Through an industry-first partnership with Wayin, a Twitter certified partner, NAIAS will offer members of the media complimentary access to content curation and data visualization tools within the Michelin Media Center.
To receive NAIAS media credentials by mail, registration must be completed at naias.com by Dec. 18; after Dec. 18, credentials will be available for pickup at Cobo Center beginning Jan. 4, 2016. All applications must be received by Dec. 31, 2015.
Information about travel and hospitality, airfare discounts and reservations can also be found on the NAIAS website. Premier Sponsor Delta Air Lines is offering discounts on select coach and first class fares for domestic originating and for international originating coach and business class fares.
About the North American International Auto Show
Now in its 28th year as an international event, the NAIAS is among the most prestigious auto shows in the world, providing unparalleled access to the automotive products, people and ideas that matter most – up close and in one place. Administered by Executive Director Rod Alberts, the NAIAS is one of the largest media events in North America, and the only auto show in the United States to earn an annual distinguished sanction of the Organisation Internationale des Constructeurs d’Automobiles, the Paris-based alliance of automotive trade associations and manufacturers from around the world. For more information, visit naias.com.
2016 NAIAS Dates:
The Gallery – Saturday, January 9, 2016
Press Preview – Monday-Tuesday, January 11-12, 2016
Industry Preview – Wednesday-Thursday, January 13-14, 2016
Charity Preview – Friday, January 15, 2016
Public Show – Saturday-Sunday, January 16-24, 2016