DETROIT – Rockers of all ages are invited to the 12th annual Chevrolet Rockin’ on the Riverfront concert series for another entertainment filled summer of classic rock. The free concert series kicks off Friday, July 14 from 7:30 p.m.-10 p.m. and runs for six consecutive Fridays throughout the summer.
The Chevrolet Rockin’ on the Riverfront concert series features performances by some of rock and roll’s most legendary stars year-over-year, and gives local Detroit bands the opportunity to showcase their talent by being the opening acts for each concert.
The 2017 Chevrolet Rockin’ on the Riverfront schedule:
· July 14 – Night Ranger has entertained rock fans since the 1980s and boasts more than ten number one videos on MTV with songs like “Sister Christian,” “Don’t Tell Me You Love Me” and “(You Can Still) Rock in America.” The band released a new album in March titled Don’t Let Up.
· July 21 – George Thorogood and the Destroyers, an American musician, singer and songwriter became the staple of 1980s rock radio with songs like “Bad to the Bone” and “I Drink Alone.”
· July 28 – LOVERBOY has sold more than 4 million albums worldwide featuring top hits like “Working for the Weekend” and “When It’s Over.”
· August 4 – Gin Blossoms, a fusion of pop, rock, folk and country elements took the airwaves by storm in the 1990s with songs like “Til I Hear It From You” and “Follow You Down.”
· August 11 – 38 Special continues to bring their signature blast of Southern Rock after more than 30 years together. Their hits “Hold on Loosely” and “Rockin’ into the Night” are still recognizable on the radio today.
· August 18 – Everclear formed in 1991 and has since produced ten studio releases, numerous videos, thousands of concerts and awards that include the 1998 Grammy nomination for Best Rock Instrumental, “El Distorto de Melodica.”
The community is invited to help select the opening bands for each Rockin’ on the Riverfront concert through the WCSX Rockin’ Wars contest by voting for local bands competing for the opportunity to open for the event headliners. Fans can watch videos of the contestants on www.wcsx.com and vote for their favorite artists until June 16. The top six contenders will be selected by a team of WCSX judges to rock out on the riverfront stage. The Rockin’ Wars finale party is open to the public on June 30 from 7-10 p.m. at Granite City Food and Brewery in the GMRENCEN.
The concert series celebrates those who served their country with exclusive seating in Veteran’s Row. For a chance to win a seat, veterans can log onto www.wcsx.com and fill out an online form sharing where he or she served or is currently serving.
Admission to the concerts is always free and no advance tickets are necessary. Viewing space is offered on a first-come, first-served basis. Attendees are encouraged to bring their own lawn chairs and blankets, but outside food, beverages and coolers are not permitted. Boaters on the Detroit River are invited to anchor near the riverfront and enjoy the view of the stage from the water.
Parking is available for $5 per vehicle at the GM surface lot at the intersection of St. Antoine and Atwater, adjacent to the GMRENCEN.
For more information about Rockin’ on the Riverfront, please visit: http://gmrencen.com/rockinontheriverfront/.
About the GMRENCEN
The GMRENCEN, Detroit’s most iconic skyscraper, serves as the global headquarters for General Motors Co. Located along the international riverfront since 1977, the GMRENCEN reaches across 5.5 million square feet of prime real estate and is divided into seven interconnected towers of office, retail and lodging space and includes the adjacent Millender Center connected by skywalk. Welcoming more than 14,000 visitors and employees to the building each day, it features 29 eateries such as Andiamo Detroit Riverfront, Granite City Food & Brewery, and Joe Muer Seafood, two hotels including the 70-story Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center hotel and conference center, two People Mover stations and nearly 3.5 miles of RiverWalk views. The building also hosts the annual Chevrolet Rockin’ on the Riverfront concert series each summer. For more information, visit www.gmrencen.com and connect with the GMRENCEN on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Trip Advisor.