Gilbert was born in Detroit on Jan. 17, 1962. He graduated from
both Michigan State University and Wayne State University. Gilbert
became the chairman and founder of Quicken Loans Inc. in 1985.
Then, he purchased the Cleveland Cavaliers basketball team in
2005. Beginning in August 2010, Gilbert started moving 1,700 of
his team members from Livonia, Mich. to the Compuware Building
in downtown Detroit. Ever since, he has been purchasing several
buildings in the city's central business district.
is owner of many buildings and parking lots in the City of Detroit.
They are as follows:
Building, 719 Griswold, is located adjacent to the Penobscot Building
in downtown Detroit in the heart of the Financial District. It
was built between 1910 and 1912 and called the Dime Savings Bank
Bldg. It was later renamed the Commonwealth Building. which housed
the Bank of the Commonwealth. It has 23 stories and eight elevators.
On June 21, 2011, Gilbert purchased this building.
Tower, 611 Woodward, was built in 1959 and has 14 stories. It
was designed by Albert Kahn Associates and is made of lots of
marble. It stands on the site of Detroit's first skyscraper called
the Hammond Building. This building had three names, National
Bank of Detroit, Bank One and finally Chase. In April 2011, Gilbert
bought this building.
District Garage, 730 Shelby, was built in 1991 and expanded in
2005 to house 983 cars. It is located adjacent to the Dime Building.
House Apartments, 1514 Washington Blvd., is set to become Gilbert's
latest acquision. This building was built in 1906 and has seven
floors. It was constructed as the Michigan State Telephone Building
and later renovated into apartments and refaced. Right now there
is a beauty shop on the main level. Sources say he will spend
$600,000 to buy the apartment building.
Bryant Building, 1520 Woodward, was built in 1917 and owned by
the Detroit Downtown Authority since 2005. This building has six
stories and housed plus-size woman clothing, which was a prominent
retail destination back in the day. It was designed by Detroit
architect, Charles N. Agree in Early Modern artichitectural style.
Kay Building, 1500 Woodward, is one of the oldest buildings in
downtown Detroit. It was built in 1891 and originally called Schwankovsky
Temple of Music. It is located on the corner of Woodward and John
R. The F.J. Schwankovsky Company was a retail store of musical
instruments. The second floor was a concert ballroom. It is a
Queen Anne style building with brick and brownstone trim. This
building was the first in Detroit to have an electric elevator.
Wright Kay Jewelers operated in the building from 1920-1978. Today,
it is a nightclub on the main floor with offices and residential
units above. This building is listed on the State of Michigan
of Michigan, 1528 Woodward, was purchased by Gilbert from the
Downtown Detroit Authority in 2006. This center develops, promotes,
presents and preserves the African American cultural arts traditions.
It offers a wide array of arts programs, services and activities
for artists and audiences alike.
Building, 1555 Broadway, opened on March 7, 1917 with its first
movie starring Mary Pickford in Poor Little Rich Girl.
This building was designed by renowned architect, C. Howard Crane
with a cost of $500,000. The Madison Theatre was the first theatre
to show a full-length talking picture called The Jazz Singer,
which opened on Dec. 25, 1927 which was seen by a half-million
people in its three-month run. This theatre seated 1806 patrons
and had an orchestra pit and was the first large movie theatre
in Detroit. The Madison enjoyed success in the 1920's, however
by the 1970's and 1980's, Detroit's struggles began to surface.
surfaced and televisions appeared to have eaten away all the profits.
The theatre was eventually bought by the Michigan Opera Theatre,
but they couldn't find the money to restore it, so it was sold
to Lawson Realty in 2000. In November 2010, Gilbert bought this
building. Today, the Angelina Italian Bistro is on the main floor
with offices upstairs.
Parking Garage, 1206 Woodward, is an underground parking structure
with infrastructure already in place to have a building constructed
National Building, 660 Woodward, construction began in 1921 and
completed in 1930 with 26 stories with two basement levels and
20 elevators. It was designed by Albert Kahn Associates and built
with limestone. Gilbert paid $8.1 million and acquired it in July,
2005. The building is shaped like an "S" so that all
offices receives great light and ventilation.
Center Parking, was constructed in 2002 and is adjacent to One
Detroit Center Building.
Reserve Bank of Chicago-Detroit Branch, 160 W. Fort, is listed
on the National Register of Historical Places in 2008. This building
was constructed in 1927. In 1951, an eight-story glass and marble
annex was built next to it in modern style designed by Minoru
Yamasaki. In 2004, the Federal Reserve moved to its new location
on E. Warren Ave. Since then the building on 160 W. Fort St. stood
vacant, Gilbert purchased the building on Jan. 30, 2012.
is asking the 2,000 recently laid off Yahoo! employees to come
work in downtown Detroit. He created a new website called ValleytoDetroit.com
for those unemployed workers to upload their resumes. Who knows
what else he has up his sleeve?
future of Detroit's Belle Isle Aquarium is very bright