Every Tuesday is a Trivia Tuesday on AmericaJR. Look for five new trivia questions and answers from the “365 Amazing Trivia Facts for 2017” calendar.
This week’s questions:
- By what other name is zucchini known around the world?
- What member of the rock band Queen is also an astrophysicist?
- Siddhartha Gautama, or Buddha, attained enlightenment by sitting under a special tree for 49 days. What is this tree now known as?
- Botticelli’s painting The Birth of Venus is said to depict a scene featured in what classic Latin narrative poem?
- What is the name of the malingering girl from Shel Silverstein’s poem “Sick” who claims to “cough and sneeze and gasp and choke” and is “sure that [her] left leg is broke”?
This week’s answers:
- Courgettes. People in France and England, among other places, favor this term.
- Brian May. He completed most of his PhD in the 1970s and went back to school to earn his doctorate in 2007.
- The Bodhi or Bo tree. A descendant of the original tree, which was destroyed, is now an important pilgrimage site for Buddhists.
- Ovid’s Metamorphoses. In addition to Venus, the painting features gods Zephyrus and Aura, and Venus’s handmaiden Hora.
- Peggy Ann McKay. The poem appears in Where the Sidewalk Ends.
Source: Workman Publishing / “Page-A-Day”