Every Tuesday is a Trivia Tuesday on AmericaJR… Look for five new trivia questions and answers from the “365 Amazing Trivia Facts for 2020” calendar…
This Week’s Questions:
- What Jazz Age singer was nicknamed “The Empress of the Blues”?
- Who is the patron saint of dentists?
- Who played the titular character in the 2018 film Black Panther?
- What is the capital of Paraguay?
- Actor Tom Hanks inspired the name of an asteroid, 12818 Tomhanks. Which of Hanks’s frequent costars also inspired an asteroid name?
This Week’s Answers:
- Bessie Smith. With a powerful, soulful voice and hit songs like “Downhearted Blues” and “Nobody Knows You When You’re Down and Out,” Smith captivated audiences in the 1920s and 1930s.
- Saint Apollonia. The ill-fated deaconess lived in Alexandria, Egypt, in the 3rd century. When she refused to renounce her Christian faith, an angry pagan mob knocked out all her teeth.
- Chadwick Boseman. The film also starred Michael B. Jordan and Lupita Nyong’o.
- Asunción. The city’s name is a nod to the Feast of the Assumption of Mary, which is celebrated on August 15–the same day a stockade was first completed in Asunción back in 1537.
- Meg Ryan. The asteroid’s name is 8353 Megryan. Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan appeared together in several beloved romantic comedies, including Sleepless in Seattle.
Source: Workman Publishing / “Page-A-Day”