DETROIT – The field for the Rocket Mortgage Classic continues to take shape in a big way, as the tournament today announced commitments from World Golf Hall of Famer Phil Mickelson and fellow major championship winners Patrick Reed and Webb Simpson.
Sungjae Im, Max Homa and Kevin Kisner, each ranked in the Official World Golf Ranking’s Top 50, are also expected to play. On top of that, two-time PGA TOUR winner and rising star Cameron Champ will return to Detroit for the third straight year.
After becoming the oldest major championship winner in the history of golf by winning the 2021 PGA Championship, 50-year-old Mickelson’s commitment to the Rocket Mortgage Classic is a welcome boost to the tournament’s field. His history of “hitting bombs” is sure to attract thousands of fans to Detroit Golf Club this summer when the TOUR makes its way to Rocket Mortgage’s hometown.
Tickets are available starting today at 8 a.m. at RocketMortgageClassic.com. In cooperation with government and health officials from the City of Detroit and State of Michigan, the Rocket Mortgage Classic has made general admission tickets available for purchase for each of the tournament’s four competition rounds Thursday, July 1 – Sunday, July 4 and the Delta Dental Pro-Am on Wednesday, June 30.
The Rocket Mortgage Classic will feature a field of 156 players competing for a winner’s prize of $1.35 million and 500 FedExCup points. The event’s overall purse is $7.5 million. Previous player commitments include defending champion and Rocket Mortgage ambassador Bryson DeChambeau, 2015 PGA Championship winner Jason Day, two-time Masters winner Bubba Watson, Rocket Mortgage ambassador Rickie Fowler and fan-favorite Harold Varner III.
The commitments of DeChambeau (No. 4 in the Official World Golf Ranking), Reed (No. 8) and Simpson (No. 11) mean three of the world’s 11 best golfers will all be at this summer’s Rocket Mortgage Classic. Additional field announcements will be made in the coming weeks.
“As evidenced by his record-breaking performance last weekend at the PGA Championship, Phil is one of the best to ever play the game, an electric performer and continues to be a huge draw for fans attending PGA TOUR events,” said Jason Langwell, Executive Director of the Rocket Mortgage Classic. “Adding a player like Phil, along with the major champions and Top-50 players who have also committed, is shaping the strongest field in Rocket Mortgage Classic history.”
The players added to the field today are sure to provide fireworks inside the ropes over Independence Day weekend at the 2021 Rocket Mortgage Classic:
- Cameron Champ, one of the longest hitters currently playing professionally, has won PGA TOUR titles in each of the past two years and finished T12 at the 2020 Rocket Mortgage Classic.
- Max Homa, currently 23rd in the FedExCup standings, won the NCAA Division I Men’s Golf Individual Championship and has two career PGA TOUR victories, including the 2021 Genesis Invitational.
- Sungjae Im, a 23-year-old South Korean star, is currently ranked 23rd in the world and sits at No. 26 in the FedExCup rankings. He won the 2020 Honda Classic and has had three top-25 finishes in major championships since October (22nd at the 2020 U.S. Open, T2 at the 2020 Masters and T17 at the 2021 PGA Championship.)
- Kevin Kisner owns three PGA TOUR wins and is currently the No. 47-ranked player in the world. He most recently won the WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play in 2019.
- Phil Mickelson has won 45 events on the PGA TOUR, including six major championships: three Masters titles (2004, 2006, 2010), the 2005 and 2021 PGA Championship and the Open Championship in 2013. He is one of 12 players in the history of golf to win three of the four majors.
- Patrick Reed, the world’s eighth-ranked player, is the 2018 Masters champion and a nine-time winner on the PGA TOUR. He has earned the nickname “Captain America” for his success in international team competition and has represented the United States in the past three Ryder Cups and Presidents Cups.
- Webb Simpson, the world’s 11th-ranked player, won the 2012 U.S. Open and 2018 PLAYERS Championship among his seven PGA TOUR wins. He placed T8 in his Rocket Mortgage Classic debut last year.
Given the sold-out 2019 event, the public is encouraged to act fast and secure 2021 tickets at RocketMortgageClassic.com. Tournament staff are constantly collaborating with city and state officials to finalize a special event plan for the event.
About the Rocket Mortgage Classic
The Rocket Mortgage Classic made history in 2019 as the first PGA TOUR event ever held in the city of Detroit, and has continued to make a positive and lasting impact on the city and its residents through its multi-year Changing the Course campaign, established in 2020 to end the digital divide in Detroit and ensure digital accessibility for all city residents. The Rocket Mortgage Classic was the most awarded event during the 2018-19 PGA TOUR season, being recognized for “Best Special Event” (then known as the AREA 313 Celebrity Challenge) and “Best Tournament Sales” as well as being honored with the first “Fair Way Award” for its diversity and inclusion initiatives. More information is available at RocketMortgageClassic.com and on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram (@RocketClassic).
About Rocket Mortgage
Detroit-based Rocket Mortgage, the nation’s largest home mortgage lender, enables the American Dream of homeownership and financial freedom through its obsession with an industry-leading, digital-driven client experience. Rocket Mortgage closed $320 billion dollars of mortgage volume across all 50 states in 2020. In late 2015, it introduced the first fully digital, completely online mortgage experience. Currently, 99% of all home loans originated by the company utilize Rocket Mortgage technology.
Rocket Mortgage moved its headquarters to downtown Detroit in 2010. Today, Rocket Mortgage and Rocket Companies employ 24,000 full-time team members nationwide. The company generates loan production from web centers located in Detroit, Cleveland and Phoenix and operates a centralized loan processing facility in Detroit. Rocket Mortgage ranked highest in the country for customer satisfaction for primary mortgage origination by J.D. Power for the past 11 consecutive years, 2010 – 2020, and also ranked highest in the country for customer satisfaction among all mortgage servicers the past seven straight years, 2014 – 2020.
Rocket Companies, Rocket Mortgage’s parent company, ranked #5 on Fortune’s list of the “100 Best Companies to Work For” in 2021 and has placed in the top third of the list for 18 consecutive years.
Source: Rocket Mortgage Classic