The AmericaJR Web Team recently visited Cave Creek, Arizona. Cave Creek was settled in 1870 by soldiers on horseback from Fort McDowell. In 1873, prospectors from the Bradshaw Mountains found gold in the town. The town is named for the cave next to the creek the town was founded on. Two historic properties have been converted into restaurants: the Cave Creek Inn, and the Cave Creek Service Station (listed on NRHP). Another location, Frontier Town, has some of Cave Creek’s original structures. “Where the Wild West Lives” was adopted as the town motto by the Cave Creek Town Council during a November 2013 meeting.
Cave Creek, Arizona is 33 miles north of Phoenix, 130 miles south of Flagstaff. For more info, visit https://www.cavecreek.org/